Trilateral group to be established on Nagorno-Karabakh
The leaders of Azerbaijan, Armenia and Russia issued a joint statement.
The leaders of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia have issued a joint statement on their Moscow meeting.
The statement said that the three countries support the proposal to establish a trilateral working group co-chaired by the deputy prime ministers.
The statement said:
"The working group will hold its first meeting by January 30, 2021, and based on the results, will compile a list of key areas of work, and identify rail and road communications as a priority.
- In order to implement the main activities, the Co-Chairs of the Working Group will approve the composition of expert subgroups from among the officials of the competent authorities and organizations of the Parties in these areas.
By March 1, 2021, the Working Group will submit to the Parties for approval at the highest level a list and schedule of measures related to the organization of international transport security through the territory of Azerbaijan and Armenia, as well as the restoration and construction of new transport infrastructure."
The region of Nagorno-Karabakh, internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, was declared independent by ethnic Armenians living there as the Soviet Union collapsed. An estimated 30,000 were killed when the conflict turned into a full-fledged war,. A ceasefire signed in 1994 under the auspices of Moscow put a fragile end to a large-scale conflict. Peace talks mediated by France, US and Russia were unsuccessful and since then, conflict is volatile, with flare-ups sporadically occurring.
A large scale military operation between the Azerbaijani and Armenian troops began on September 27, 2020.
As a result of the 44-day war, which ended on 9 November, control of five cities, four settlements and 286 villages was taken back by Azerbaijani forces.
On 10 November, the Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and the Prime Minister of Armenia signed a statement on a complete ceasefire and all military operations in the conflict zone. In addition, Russian peacekeepers have been deployed in the region.
According to the statement, the regions of Kalbajar, Agdam and Lachin were handed over to Azerbaijan.
While you are here …
We have a small favor to ask of you. In an environment where information is under tight government control, Meydan TV works hard to ensure that people have access to quality independent journalism. We shed light on stories you might otherwise not read because we believe that those who cannot speak up deserve to be heard, and those in power need to be held accountable. We invest considerable time, effort and resources to do so, which is why we need your help.
Your support empowers our courageous journalists, many of whom work at great personal risk to freedom and safety. Every contribution to the protection of independent journalism in Azerbaijan matters. Thank you.SUPPORT US
Huseynov had spent two years in jail for allegedly libeling the chief ...2 March 2019
A group of women gathered to protest against domestic violence after authorities ...8 March 2019
The government has surprised many by conceding after some recent social media ...25 February 2019